The Merton Park Scout Jumble Sale takes place twice yearly: during April/May; and October/November. We have been running a jumble sale for more than 45 years.
We are pleased to announce the dates for both of our 2023 Jumble Sales. Saturday 22nd April 2023 and Saturday 7th October 2023.
We are pleased to announce jumble sale, collection dates for the 2023 Jumble Sales. Wednesday 19th April 2023 and Wednesday 4th October 2023.
Why do we hold a Jumble Sale?
The purpose of raising funds is to contribute towards the running of the Group and to subsidise subscriptions and activities. The proceeds of the Jumble sale pay towards:
- Activities that children do on a weekly basis
- The purchase of neckerchiefs, woggles and badges
- The rent of the church hall
- The lease of the land on which the Scout Hut is located (in the church hall car park) as well as the shelters in the Glebe Field
- Maintenance of the hut and shelters, as well as provision of utilities
- Stationery and printing
- Leaders’ training, manuals, and uniforms (Leaders are volunteers, they don’t get paid!)
- Capitation payments to Scouts HQ (all groups pay towards national scouting activities)
- The Group Annual Camp, as well as individual camps for Beavers, Cubs, and Scouts
- Major items of camping equipment, including tents, tables and chairs, cooking facilities, lighting, safety and first aid equipment
- Special activities such as paintballing, go-karting, wall-climbing
- Contingency funding
- Supporting the Explorers
In 2022, we made £7,500 gross from jumble sales.
What we do with unsold items
We redistribute unsold items to other charities. Although we have a skip on site, we minimise its use to non-recyclable items. Any unsold donations are redistributed to:
The Salvation Army, Christian Aid, Dogs Trust, Cats League, Oxfam, Save the Children, National Trust, British Heart Foundation, and towards supporting refugee families, especially Ukranian families during the present time. Unsold tea, coffee and food items go to the Wimbledon Food Bank